Wednesday, March 09, 2011

stretch and a yawn

I will get out from under
  my rain cloud; put away
         my hopeless situation;
   fill in
     the mud hole I've
        wallowed in so the
   sun couldn't touch my skin;
let wild flowers grow over the
    sleepwalk beaten path
            visited
          and revisited...
   I've long suspected,
         but now I do believe
    these were all chosen destinations,
                    safe houses
            of settling,
     secure self-sabotage,
a low bar for half-hearted achievement.
       The
  same lame methods of self-neglect,
coffee, booze, and cigarettes,
         empty sex
       and cold hearts...
  I'm no more special
than any of the other fat
   and skinny asses—
    we're all sending ourselves
          to our deaths,
      and it's not painless or
                        quick,
                    in the least.
But it's easy.
I've grown tired of easy.
         My body aches with atrophy.
        My soul aches from apathy.

7 comments:

Marian said...

i've read this a few times now and i just really like it. big truths well expressed. in this moment my body literally aches from apathy, i gotta do something about that. let's go!

ian said...

thank you for the kind words. i'm trying to light a fire under my ass, get to where i should've been years ago.

Marian said...

maybe let go of the where i shoulda been years ago, and that will help you to get where you could be right now?

ian said...

good point

Kerry O'Connor said...

fill in
the mud hole I've
wallowed in so the
sun couldn't touch my skin;
let wild flowers grow over the
sleepwalk beaten path
visited
and revisited...

I love these lines.

Kerry O'Connor said...

PS. No idea why this blog has no followers... mind if I'm the first?

ian said...

i would be honored.