Wednesday, April 20, 2011

behaving like teenagers


What was that little ditty?

  We all become what we most
                       dislike

hopping picket fences
and that pack of
               reds
      has me mouth-breathing
suffocating in her hair.
  We are boring people
hungry for more
 cliché
beautiful
hopeless
helplessly hoping for places
    to hide our faces and
tempt Fate
      with broken mirrors
  and chipped teeth,
        fresh scars to forget—
    We are anachronisms.
She said
  we were destined to
destroy each other;
then she asked me my sign,
starry eyed
   lust drunk enamored
 by distraction
Bang Bang
  I shot her down.

Red fish
Blue fish
Bad fish
What kind of fish are you?

                …and she adjusts her skirt.

right way
and wrong way, a
  silk thread tightrope
     stretches from saturday savior
  across
  sunday remorse
and mirror reflections
      on the fact
               that,
           goddamnit,
                 i am that guy.

At least
   I still feel
        smart
      stealing another line from another song.
It's all in good fun.

8 comments:

Marian said...

aw, how much do i love this? so uncomfortably real. bang bang! somehow i am imagining them hanging out in a cemetery. huh.

ian said...

maybe listening to joy division, drinking coffee, chain smoking, doing headstone etches, and he's crying.

Marian said...

uplifting. i can see it.

ian said...

totally uplifting, always.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hi Ian, I came over hoping to find something I hadn't read... This is a great piece - you can really tap in to the human foibles, short-comings (Bang, bang, bang aside) and wistful yearnings.. I was caught up as ever by the poetic voice, and these lines really grabbed me by the throat:

We are anachronisms.
She said
we were destined to
destroy each other...

Thanks for paying me a visit too - I always appreciate your thoughtful comments.

ian said...

foibles and shortcomings... write you what you know, right?

Helena said...

That was my favourite kind of read. I'll look over more of your material. You'd be good with lyrics.

ian said...

thanks for stopping in, lena, and for the kind words.