Saturday, November 06, 2010

two poems, six years

1:58am sobriety:
What is this
           need to reject history;
  the need to self-animate,
 to self-sustain?
      white chip tokens of loneliness
               and porch swing longing…
    Once upon a time, I
          could love myself;
yet, as true as neurochemical changes
     yielding new identities,
  the past is no more real than—
        She is but an icon
    with a billion different names to learn
and I hate my face,
      photographs make this only too real.
    I just need someone to be there
                                     for me;
     but I’ve found no way to silence these
sledge hammer synapses pounding
   in echoed harmony
         with dopamine deficiency,
a ringing distraction in my hollowed out
                cranial cavity,
           like a gangrened ghost limb, still itching
to be cut off—
          I play.

      Love is just an organic compound;
               drink deep.

2:04am stumble:
Is this the last swig?  Just
      one last pull, another shot to the gut…
         a twinge of jealousy and
  I’m reeling. It’s just my way; or simply
      chemistry and biological drive.
   Tell me, when
                will I feel calm?
With time, head throbbing pound
      dulls to a hum, and
  red vision gives way to
      low light, eventual
  hindsight: I know I was wrong.

Apologies, broken wings,
   just two birds lost along their way home…
Cynicism tells me
     it’s just an evolutionary trick.
And yet, I yield.
    The icon has, now, only her face,
          only her tattoos…

Here’s my ten bleeding fingers
    cradling broken bottles, my
  bruised knuckle tokens of
     openness; yet, blood
  runs dry and scars, too, will fade
        like photographs kept
                 in shoe boxes,
     blacken to faint memory,
and she’ll shine in another sky.
Will I disappear?

As days go by,
 my mind clears, revealing me
        stunned
by my own reflection
      looking back
                    too clearly…
I swore I’d never go there, again;
   dragged myself down, friend,
    down, down, down,
                                  down.

Love is an organic compound;
       may our cups overflow.

No comments: