Monday, February 21, 2005

To Dr Gonzo: You've touched many; you'll be missed...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
...though perhaps even the most professionally weird burn out.

Strange and sad times in this foul year of our lord, 2005...

Freaks of all generations have been dealt a swift and forceful blow...Thompson took his life last night at his Colorado compound... As many have commented, this comes as a surprise... Thompson was a character larger than life, some sort of strange singular mutant, if you will...

I'm not entirely sure how to comment on the death of Hunter S Thompson (1937-2005)...honestly, I didn't personally know the man and it's only been a few short years since I was introduced to him first-hand by reading his classic Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...I can say that I, like many, have been affected by that "introduction..."

Though from reading his espn.com page2 column, he definitely appeared to be aging...My thoughts are that it finally caught up with him. Not the guns, fast cars, boozing and such, but what was behind it all, the work to stay out of the norm... His writing grew tired, more so after this past election. Maybe, "They" finally broke him.

Which brings me to my inability to decide how to look at his suicide: is it yet another example of bitching-out and hiding from the world, more permanent than a mountain ranch or a Riviera dream home? Or is it furtherance for the argument of sustainability?

Thank you for touching our lives, Doc. Sorry to see you go...

2 comments:

ella m. said...

I'd like to think he did it due to failing heath and productivity. Rather than succumb to living the quiet life of a typical 60 something retiree, he ended his misery before giving in to that sort of homogenized day to day grind.

btezra said...

~sad indeed, R.I.P. Hunter Thompson~c